Plum Island Aerodrome, Inc. (PIA) is a not-for-profit 501(C)3 organization which manages the Plum Island historical airport in a lease arrangement with Historic New England (HNE).
Plum Island Aerodrome has a two-fold mission:
- To restore and preserve the historic character of Plum Island Airport
- To educate the public on the history of Plum Island Airport, as well as on its impact on aviation and the community today.
Steve Noyes is President of Plum Island Aerodrome, Inc. and the Fixed Base Operations (FBO) manager responsible for the day to day operations at Plum Island Airport.
Volunteers provide the backbone both for airport operations and for the fulfillment of PIA's mission. More specifically, volunteers perform all of the work required:
- To maintain and upgrade the airport for day to day operations
- To maintain, update and expand the airport's museum facilities and services
- To provide, expand and diversify PIA's educational and community services
- To maintain communications and public relations with adjacent neighbors, surrounding communities, government boards and agencies, regional Historical Societies, Historic New England and the public at large.
As a strong nonprofit organization, Plum Island Aerodrome relies on both earned and contributed income to offset the costs of day to day operations, ongoing maintenance and authorized improvements.
An appointed Board of Directors provides the governing direction and oversight for Plum Island Aerodrome, Inc.