PIA board members and 2B2 volunteers extend an open invitation both to the flying community and the general public to all PIA-hosted events. 2B2's monthly Pot Luck Sundays and Annual Bird Dog/Tail Dragger Fly-Ins are for pilots and non-pilots, area residents and visitors, individuals and families. Come and experience the sights and sounds of a "day in the life" of a thriving General Aviation airfield and community.
During these events, the Plum Island Airfield is transformed into both a community and aviation happening. The flying and non-flying public are welcome to enjoy the following:
- the take-offs, approaches and landings on 2B2's paved and grass airstrip
- close-up views of General Aviation aircraft and rare vintage airplanes
- tours of the historical Burgess Museum and the Working Museum
- glider rides and scenic rides
- panoramic views from inside lounges and exterior wrap-around decks
- a buffet of culinary delights from home kitchens and 2B2 grills
- a vibrant blend of music, conversation and laughter.
Monthly Pot Luck Sundays are held year round the second Sunday of every month. Annual Bird Dog/Tail Dragger Fly-Ins are weekend events scheduled in June and September.
Plum Island Aerodrome also accommodates non-PIA sponsored community events. PIA closes airport operations and makes its grounds available to community groups and private citizens. The following are examples of the one-time or recurring community events which have been held at Plum Island Airfield:
- Annual Youth and Scouting Events, e.g., Youth Kite Flying Day, Explorer Scout Camping Expeditions; Boy Scout Lone Tree Rocket Launch & Pancake Breakfast
- Special Ceremonies, e.g., private weddings and receptions; Award ceremonies such as the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission's awarding of the MA state championship to Newburyport High School for their first place finish in the Department of Energy's national Real World Design Challenge (RWDC).
- Annual Benefit Concert - "An Evening of Rock", e.g., annual open air concerts sponsored by the Evening of Rock Foundation to benefit surrounding community organizations
- Annual "Sails and Trails Weekend", sponsored by Essex County Heritage Commission which includes Plum Island Airfield as an historic site stopover
- Annual Day-Long Demonstrations of Model and Radio-Controlled Aircraft,